11 January 2006

observation 309.24.06


So I had the weirdest dream the other night. It was one of those kinds that even when you think back on it, it still seems too real to be a dream so it makes you wonder if you lived it once before. I was in my car, stuck in traffic on a bridge. My mind told me it was the Brooklyn Bridge, but it wasn't. It was a green bridge. And traffic was dead still so that to me was just odd. I felt a bump and my car shook. Knowing my foot was still on the brake, I figure somebody had to've hit me from behind. So I looked in the rearview mirror and, to my sheer delight, saw one, extra-solid pimp mobile. That's the only way to describe it. It was almost holy. It was firetruck red with silver metal-flake mixed in, chrome where it needed to be, and it was a most beautiful street sled that commanded my respect. The driver had one gold tooth that matched his gold shades, and he was wearing a red Santa's hat with one fluffy, white ball dangling down beside his smile.

I half-smiled to myself and felt a warmth spread its wings inside me, and I looked back to the cars in front of me. The bridge was separating, the road was splitting in two as both sides of the bridge ahead of me began falling apart from each other and slowly, huge cables and chunks tearing down into the water. It came apart cleanly and evenly like an enormous concrete and steel zipper was literally unzipping in front of me, and in slow motion, I watched it crumble from beneath us all, and I watched the cars sliding off, one by one, not believing this as they tumbled and began crashing down into the water. Adrenaline kicked in and my mind had enough time to think how sad it would be for the people in front of my eyes, dying. My grip tightened on the wheel, I felt my eyes wide in disbelief, and my car began its slow moaning lean sideways. I knew I couldn't get out. I felt acceptance and knew what was really happening to me now. The first thing I thought was "Oh, shit." Then, next thing I thought was "I hate drowning...please, God, not again..." And as gravity pulled my car and my body down, the car gained speed rolling upside-down toward my impact, and I held on to the wheel tight and felt so human and thought, "God, this is gonna hurt."

I just remembered this on my jog tonight, stretching on a bench, catching my breath, scanning the darkness for the moon and finding it straight above me, watching it hold still then disappear behind a rippling of clouds in the cold, murky waters of the night sky. Billie Holiday sang to me,

"I've got a date with a dream, a dream divine, I've got a date with a dream who may be mine, I've got to hurry and dress to meet him at seven, when any old corner becomes a corner of heaven, blue heaven...I'm gonna dance with a dream, we'll dance on air, I'm gonna speak to a dream, and tell him I care, and when the evening is over I'll kiss him goodnight and then I'll have a date with a dream, and meet him all over again."






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home